Now it's personal...
During the Lifesavers National Conference on Highway Safety Priorities I recently attended, there were several sessions on distracted driving, with heavy focus on texting while driving — not only by teens but by adults, too. While I've shared stats and such since the conference, it has now become personal.
On Saturday, my stepmother was rear-ended by a gal who was texting while driving and because she was distracted, failed to slow down at a traffic light. She slammed into my stopped (as she should be) stepmom so hard it pushed the vehicle into the intersection. Fortunately, my stepmom was not hit by other vehicles in the intersection, but she sustained whiplash, a concussion, and closed-head injuries from which she may never fully recover.
As I mentioned before, there's a 23 times greater crash risk when texting while driving, yet 49 percent of adults text while driving. Even when we know it's wrong and dangerous. Many of us claim, "Oh, I'm a good driver and an excellent multitasker, so it's okay." It's not okay, no matter what, no matter how careful.
If you or someone you love texts while driving — and I admit, I used to at stoplights — please take the following videos to heart, please share them with friends and family.
And another, geared toward teens:
I appreciate you reading my justified rant.
Now for something a little less heavy: the GRAND Social. Thank you for joining me!
How it works:
- All grandparent bloggers are invited to add a link. You don't have to blog specifically about grandparenting, but you must be a grandparent who blogs.
- To link up, copy the direct URL to the specific post — new or old — that you want to share, not the link to your blog's home page. Then click the blue "Click here to enter" text below and follow the directions to add your post and graphic to the list.
- You can add up to three posts, but no duplicates, please, and none you have promoted on a previous GRAND Social linky. And no contests, giveaways, or Etsy sites, please.
- Adding a mention at the bottom of your linked posts, such as This post has been linked to the GRAND Social linky, is appreciated. Or, you can post the GRAND Social button anywhere on your page using the following code:
- The GRAND Social linky is open for new posts through Wednesday evening, so please come back to see those added after your first visit.
- If you're not a blogger, you have the pleasure of being a reader. Bloggers who link up would be honored to have one and all — bloggers and readers — visit, read and, if so moved, comment, even if just a "Hey, stopping by from the GRAND Social."
- Looking for another grandparent linky? Be sure to visit Connie's Grandparent's Say It Saturday Link Party each Saturday.
Thank you for participating in the GRAND Social!